PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Error 61 calling *winapi  (Read 1165 times)

jdegrendele

• View Profile
Error 61 calling *winapi
« on: January 22, 2020, 01:19:57 PM »
PxPlus 2017 nthost / ntslave configuration.  I have a client who is updating their PC's to Win10.  One of the systems is brand new.   On this system we are getting an error 61 when trying to call %wdx$+"*winapi;getsystemmetrics".  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall Windx.  Positive that correct versions are being used.  Can anyone provide me with an idea as to what might be going on?  I'm thinking some sort of permissions problem with the user account on the PC but unfortunately I'm having to work thru another IT group to resolve this and so far are not a lot of help.

Regards,
Jeff DeGrendele
SDA, Inc.

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
Re: Error 61 calling *winapi
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 01:32:18 PM »
Likely the user who installed WindX did not give you permission to execute a local call.

Due to changes in the industry and restrictions imposed by articles such as the GDPR in Europe and similar legislation elsewhere, we now have to ask permission of the end user to allow a server to run programs locally.

The most probable cause of the error 61 you are seeing is that when the user was asked, they enabled security (the default setting) and when then asked if it was okay to run a program locally they chose no.  The user will need to reset the security settings on their workstations by pressing CTRL-SHIFT-INSERT while running WindX or selecting the "Reset WindX Authorization" option from the system menu (ALT-SPACE)
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

jdegrendele

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 01:49:47 PM »
Thank you Mike that's exactly what the issue was.

Jeff.

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 02:26:10 PM »
Its quite common.  Sadly due to the environment we now live in we have to err on the side of safety which means we can no longer allow remote software to access/update the user machines without their explicit consent.

As always, a few bad apples spoil everything.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com