PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Window Size Maximums  (Read 611 times)

James Zukowski

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
Window Size Maximums
« on: November 07, 2022, 02:51:21 PM »
The current documentation lists the window size limits as 255 lines by 255 columns. The Release Notes for PxPlus 2021 (v18) state that (for NOMADS-oriented components) "Increased panel and control sizes to a width of 620 and height of 255 in all designers". We're currently on v15, and close to moving to v18. We just ran into a user with a monitor capable of 312 columns. The program has been patched to limit this to 255.

I presume the new window size limits are in effect for more than just NOMADS, and that we can address the larger monitors appropriately. However, I couldn't find any other documentation regarding those larger size limits. Could someone confirm that they are supported, or if this is a NOMADS-only implementation.

Thanks in advance!
James Zukowski
Sr. Developer - J&E

BRAND>SAFWAY
Brand Industrial Services

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
Re: Window Size Maximums
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 03:46:17 PM »
Technically you can now have windows greater than 255 columns wide, however some internal values (such as the FIB/MSE variables) which are limited to 1 byte will not properly reflect the window dimensions or co-ordinates.  If your program logic uses these 1 byte values they will get the wrong values. 

We adapted our logic in Nomads to use OBJ(0) byte 33 for 2 and 35 for 2 to get the window sizes.  Similarly logic reading the mouse location did not use the line/col value in MSE but rather divided the X position by the character width and Y position by the line height.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

James Zukowski

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
Re: Window Size Maximums
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 04:13:38 PM »
I thought it would be something like that. We got the error with the 'window' mnemonic trying to create a 312-character wide window (3440/11 pixels). And yes, a lot of mice will need to be swept away...in due time...once we upgrade.
James Zukowski
Sr. Developer - J&E

BRAND>SAFWAY
Brand Industrial Services