PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Customized Tab Sequencing in Folder  (Read 2084 times)

James Zukowski

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
Customized Tab Sequencing in Folder
« on: December 21, 2018, 10:34:10 AM »
In upgrading our legacy system to Nomads, we'll be having some inquiry programs with folders having quite a few tabs. Has anyone developed a method of customizing the sequence of tabs based on criteria like used id?
For example, the Item Inquiry has tabs like General Info, Pricing, Inventory, Costing, Open Orders, etc. Different users have different priorities for the information they seek, and would want different tabs earlier in the list (without having to scroll, especially). Our warehouse people may want to see Open Orders, then Inventory, then General Info, whereas our buyers may want to see Inventory, then Costing, the Open Orders, and so on.
Has anyone developed a method of doing this within the standard Nomads processing, or would I need to fill the Tab and Folder objects on a more manual basis?
Thanks, all!

And magical holidays to you, too!
James Zukowski
Sr. Developer - J&E

BRAND>SAFWAY
Brand Industrial Services

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
Re: Customized Tab Sequencing in Folder
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »
Why not control the Tabs yourself?

Basically create the container panel with a folder set as tabless.  Define one panel in it to be the default to be displayed.

Add a series of radio buttons across the top of this panel above the tabless folder. For each button set the text to be an expression such as TAB_1$, TAB_2$, .. and set the on press logic for the radio buttons to REPLACEMENT_FOLDER$=EVS("FLDR_"+STR(rb_value)+"$")

Now when the container panel is loaded have the pre-display logic load the values into TAB_1$/FLDR_1$ ... based on the userid and their desired tabs and tab order.  In the Post_display logic set REPLACEMENT_FOLDER$ to FLDR_1$ and hide any unused buttons.

You can add a extra button(s) to the right/left of the radio buttons should you want/need to provide the ability to scroll the list of folders.  Pressing on these buttons simply loads a different set of text and FLDR_nnn$ values.

With a little tweaking you should be able to come up with a fully dynamic folder style display that will allow you to specify your own list of folders and order by user.

Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 12:12:49 PM »
Whoops -- should have mentioned; 

When setting the text for the Radio button make sure you include a Bitmap as in "{!xxx}Invoices" to force the radio buttons to look like normal buttons.  If you don't want actual bitmaps just include {} in front of the text.
Mike King

James Zukowski

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
With this methodology, would the existing Folder/Tab/Field security still be enforced, or would I need to implement that somehow?

Also, is the REPLACEMENT_FOLDER$ supposed to be the full Tab name (within the existing Folder), or the name of a new Folder? I can't find much documentation on this.

Thank you for the concept. I'll see if we can flesh it out better.
James Zukowski
Sr. Developer - J&E

BRAND>SAFWAY

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »
The variable REPLACEMENT_FOLDER$ should be set top the name of the panel which is to replace the current folder.

I have attached a sample export of a panel library that demonstrates what I am describing relative to using REPLACEMENT_FOLDER.  You should be able to import this into a library and then run the DEMO panel.

Mike King

James Zukowski

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 02:59:03 PM »
Mike:
I've tried importing this into our v13.10 PxPlus Nomads, but all I get is "No panels available"
Anything I should tweak to get it in?
James Zukowski
Sr. Developer - J&E

BRAND>SAFWAY

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 03:08:07 PM »
James -- I exported from PxPlus 2018 so you need to import into 2018.

However I have attached a zip of the file to make it easier.

Mike King