PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: File Maint with Main window data fields and Folder  (Read 2420 times)

James Zukowski

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
File Maint with Main window data fields and Folder
« on: November 26, 2019, 04:30:01 PM »
We're moving some fields from a tab in a folder to the main part of a F/M window, to eliminate that tab. When was bring up a record, the tab key moves through the fields, then to the tab header, but for the first tab in the folder, all of the fields are disabled. Switching to another tab and then back again enables them properly. If a different tab is displayed when the record is retrieved, all of the fields are enabled properly, and switching to the first tab also enables those.

I can't find any notable differences between the tab panel headers. Is there something I'm missing to get that first tab enabled when retrieveing a record?

Thanks, all!

PxPlus v13.10 on Linux RedHat 5 with WindX
James Zukowski
Sr. Developer - J&E

BRAND>SAFWAY
Brand Industrial Services

Susan Cryderman

• Staff
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies Ltd.
Re: File Maint with Main window data fields and Folder
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 04:46:13 PM »
James,

A couple of questions ...

Were the original panels generated as File Maintenance panels and then edited in NOMADS?  If so, which folder tab (first, second, third) was removed?

James Zukowski

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 05:00:56 PM »
Yes, it was originally created as a Generated F/M, but all non-key fields were on the folder's tabs. It's also a Custom Type F/M program, which allows us to control a number of the processes.

That said, we've done a bit of tweaking on the originals, due to new fields being added to the file. The original first tab (.1) had a new first tab (.0) inserted before it, so it became the second tab. Others were also added along the way, getting inserted and shuffled. The inter-tab "Folder_Tab_n" elements have been added/deleted/updated accordingly.

We're now eliminating the first tab (.0), using another tab (.3) as the new first tab. The folder object has the desired sequence of tabs (.3, .1, .2, .4, .9), and the Folder_Tab_n elements work. It's just getting that first tab's objects to be enabled when retrieving a record that's weird. Again, having another tab active when retrieving the record has that tab's objects enabled, and switching to the first (.3) will subsequently work.
James Zukowski
Sr. Developer - J&E

BRAND>SAFWAY

Susan Cryderman

• Staff
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 09:30:18 AM »
It's hard to say exactly what might be happening since you are using a custom F/M program.  In our standard program, the FIELDS group should become enabled if the _ENABLE_FLG variable is set in the FIND_REC method.  There is a bit of logic to determine this - based on the number of key fields to be entered etc.

Is there more than one key field on the panel?  Were any of the tweaks made to the panels affecting key fields?

James Zukowski

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 11:39:23 AM »
It's a single-key file, and there were no changes that affect that, that I am aware of. I'm wondering if it's something to do with "splitting" fields in the FIELDS group between the main window and the tab. That still wouldn't explain why tabs other than the first work fine when they're the ones displayed on a FIND_REC.

I'll review things again, to see if there's something I missed.
James Zukowski
Sr. Developer - J&E

BRAND>SAFWAY

Susan Cryderman

• Staff
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 12:02:34 PM »
The legacy File Maintenance programs (prior to version 2019) sometimes hid code and settings in the library file itself.  This was one of the reasons we re-designed File Maintenance in the 2019 release.

It might help to generate the panels again with a different name and then try replacing some of the controls on your existing panel (maybe the key) with the newer version.

James Zukowski

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 12:14:48 PM »
When we finally upgrade to that in early 2020, we'll look into it. For now, I'll work on the code review.
James Zukowski
Sr. Developer - J&E

BRAND>SAFWAY