PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Dictionary  (Read 2174 times)

clayton.fast

• View Profile
Dictionary
« on: August 05, 2018, 09:26:51 PM »
We build providex.dde and providex.ddf from our proprietary dictionary.  I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate it with Providex tools like Nomads and the Report Writer.

I have several questions:

1) How do I set the global variables in the file name/path so that the PVX tools know where to find the physical file.  I could probably figure out how to do it if I started the tools from within a Providex program that I write.  I'm struggling trying to figure out how to do from the IDE.
2) How do I determine or force the dictionary to use my specific physical copy of providex.dde and providex.ddf?  There are so many copies of those files in different folders that I can't figure it out.  I even tried to see which physical file changed when I changed dictionary information,  That didn't work for me.  That wasn't logical to me.
3) Where can I find information on how to define the keys for a particular file definition?  I could probably figure that out if I could get an answer to #2.

Thanks,
Clay

Jane Raymond

• Staff
  • Diamond Member
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
Re: Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:52:28 AM »
  • When defining the data dictionary for a file in Dictionary Maintenance, select Expression for the Physical File and build the expression for the file name using your global variable, e.g. %Company$+dlm+"filename". You can set the value for the global variable in your START_UP program. Alternately, you can use a fixed simple name for your file, and set up File Search Rules using the PREFIX directive to find the file when it's opened.
  • Again, you can determine which files are used by looking at the search rules you have set up with the PREFIX directive.
  • Information on defining keys for a dictionary file can be found here.
Jane Raymond
Software Developer
PVX Plus Technologies Ltd.