PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Simple client over remote rdp not connecting sometimes  (Read 1941 times)

MikeinFL

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
Simple client over remote rdp not connecting sometimes
« on: March 17, 2020, 10:27:09 PM »
Trying to get new customer setup and have run into this issue.  Help please.

I run simple client with a remote rdp (my customer's network support seutp) and it usually runs my startup program fast in 1 second.  But after 3 hours off I tried again and it delayed.  This has been happening since I've set them up.  After 2 minutes of no connection, and ae blank dialogue screen with a cursor in the top left corner, but my startup pgm not running,  I did one thing- I clicked on the desktop of the host (I have remote access) and when I did my startup program ran the moment I clicked on the host server desktop.  The server desktop was not in sleep or saver mode.

It's as if something is going idle on the host server and a mouse click on the desktop wakes it up.  The network support tech has no idea why this happens.   Display sleep was already set to never.  Wakeup was always enabled.  Power management is balanced.  I just set it to High Perf to see if that helps.

Setup:
1. Simple client host runs PxPlus V16.10.0000 DEMO on Windows Server 2019 Standard, port 4093:

Simple client host shortcut:
TARGET
"C:\PVX Plus Technologies\PxPlus 2019 Upd 1\pxplus.exe" -bkg *plus\cs\host -arg "4093;RECON=180"
STARTIN
"C:\PVX Plus Technologies\PxPlus 2019 Upd 1\"

2. Simple client client shortcut is located on another server with Windows 7 Ultimate:

TARGET:
 "C:\PVX Plus Technologies\Windx Plugin 2019 Upd 2\pxplus.exe" *plus\cs\client -arg SERVER1 mystartpgm
STARTIN
"C:\PVX Plus Technologies\Windx Plugin 2019 Upd 2\"

3. My remote rdp the network tech setup for me runs the the above client shortcut located on a different server, not the host

It seems unusual to me to setup a remote rdp not to a client shortcut on the the host server, but to a client shortcut on a different server.  Is this ok?  Also they tell me these windows servers are in a virtual environment.

Their network tech said the no connect might be that the second server, Windows 7 Ultimate, gets bogged down. But everyone was off the second server when my program could not connect.   Remote rdp app always connects ok.  Rdp starts client screen but the client doesn't run my startup program although the dialogue screen comes up and the cursor is 'stuck' at the top left of a blank screen.  As if waiting for a response from the host. 

The host server has no issues in task manager and everything looks normal.  Clicking on the host server desktop (not the second server where the client shortcut is located) makes my startup program run immediately. I've done this several times and clicking on desktop of server makes it run.  This no connect only happens after some time has gone by.   I just tried an hour later and it was ok. 

How to fix?

Mike
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:25:48 AM by MikeinFL »

GordDavey

• View Profile
Re: Simple client over remote rdp not connecting sometimes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 08:30:46 AM »
Does the server that is seeing a slow start of the pvxplus.exe have a connection to the internet? If it does then does it limit outbound connections in any way? Sites/Sockets ?
Gord Davey <gord.davey@Avexware.com>
President - Avexware Corp.
Tel: +1 (519) 835-4322

MikeinFL

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »
Does the server that is seeing a slow start of the pvxplus.exe have a connection to the internet? If it does then does it limit outbound connections in any way? Sites/Sockets ?

Gord, great to see you on the forum!  I will ask them about this.

Mike

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 12:14:54 PM »
Another possibility might be if you are RDP'ing into a machine that is hiberating or sleeping.  Your RDP might connect but the system is bogged down waking up all the services and reloading processes into memory.  It may also be having to restarting the network connection to the server as it could have been put to sleep.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

MikeinFL

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »
Another possibility might be if you are RDP'ing into a machine that is hiberating or sleeping.  Your RDP might connect but the system is bogged down waking up all the services and reloading processes into memory.  It may also be having to restarting the network connection to the server as it could have been put to sleep.

I didn't even think to look at the second machine that rdp runs the client shortcut from.  Sleep was on 10 minutes and Turn off Hard Drive was 20 minutes. I just changed both to never.  Is there anything other setting to prevent idle?   Thanks

MikeinFL

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 10:00:56 AM »
Update- they found the cpu was spiking to 100% sometimes on the client shortcut machine.  They are takings steps to reduce the cpu load.  Hopefully that will fix this. 

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 10:21:02 AM »
Yeah --- if the CPU spikes to 100% you will have trouble connecting as we only provide a few seconds for the connection sequence to take place before we advise the user it failed.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

MikeinFL

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »
Update.  Still need help with remote rdp's timing out connecting to PxPlus server.  Their network tech hasn't been able to resolve it and say they are running out of server resources but will be upgrading.

Here's what's happening. 

Server1 is PxPlus 2019 demo. 

Server2 is Windows 7 and has a Windx *ntslave shortcut on desktop that runs ProvideX on Server3 port 10000, and also a Windx simple client shortcut to run PxPlus 2019 demo port 4093

Server3 is ProvideX on Windows Server 2003

All run in virtual environment on Linux.

Several remote users have rdp setup by their tech to run simple client on server2.  Sometimes mystartpgm will not run and simple client times out.  But if before timeout I click on server1 desktop, it immediately runs. 

I'm also remote and their tech set me up a different connectiion using gateway.  The other remote users have rdp. I have not had the problem for 3 weeks.  I thought it was fixe but tested a remote rdp user today and they still have the problem. 

We already know the server2 cpu spikes to 100% briefly when simple client connects. Before, the cpu was always in the 90% all day long.  Then tech began nightly reboot to close stuck remote logins and that fixed my timeout using gateway connect.  But it didn't help remote rdp user.  I've asked tech to switch remote users to gateway since mine works.  But that's probably not the solution.

What I'm thinking is that server2 just can't handle having two client shortcuts that run to two different servers.   I've suggested another server just for the simple client shortcut, and they would do that but are out of servers to do so.

I was hoping to resolve this before moving them to PxPlus.  I put the customer on hold to pressure their tech to fix this problem first.  Although it may go away once they move off of server3.  Again, they say they are out of server capacity and will be upgrading.  They're having a problem with that at the moment.

The weird thing when I click on server1 desktop it does something to make server2 see it and simple client connects.  To me that doesn't seem to indicate server capacity. I'm not a network tech and don't know.  Especially with Linux underneath.  Maybe it's a setting in server1.  So I thought I'd ask you all again. 

Any suggestions?   Thanks