PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Why two Activation Keys?  (Read 2173 times)

MikeinFL

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
Why two Activation Keys?
« on: October 03, 2019, 06:02:59 PM »
In the past when I ordered keys for a new system, I received two keys- "Activation Key" and "PxPlus Activation Key"

What's the difference and which key do I enter in the 5 boxes in the 'PxPlus product keys and registration' screen?

Thanks
Mike

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
Re: Why two Activation Keys?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »
The ProvideX key enables the original ProvideX functionality, whereas the PxPlus key enables the PxPlus enhancements.

The use of two keys dates back to when we split off from Sage in 2005 and founded PxPlus.  While we have considered moving to a single key, we still have a number of clients using older unsupported products that require the old style keys.  Many companies buy new licenses then install old, sometimes unsupported, versions of PxPlus.

Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

MikeinFL

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 08:50:21 AM »
"Many companies buy new licenses then install old, sometimes unsupported, versions of PxPlus."

So if I order new keys for an old ProvideX ver5 user, and they will continue to use that older code, I should use the Activation Key not the PxPlus Key?

Also, for that user running old ProvideX v5 code, should I order Base or Pro?  Would Pro work on that old user?  Or is Base and Pro the same code wise?

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 11:21:52 AM »
First off we STRONGLY recommend that you use current support versions of PxPlus.  Version 5 of ProvideX came out in 2001 -- that is 18 years ago and predates even Windows XP.

Next the ProvideX or "Installation Key" shipped with your order only activates enough of the system so you can perform an online product registration within 30 days of the date of install.  The install key is only temporary and ultimately you will need to get a permanent key by registering the product.  NOTE: You can enter all keys supplied with your product to temporarily enable the full functionality purchased for 30 days or until you register the install.

Registration of the software is done online.  PxPlus comes with the tools required to do an online registration, whereas for ProvideX you need to download the online registration tools.  Details on how to download/install these tools can be found at:  https://home.pvxplus.com/pgsrvr.pvp?pg=providex_activation

Again, using old unsupported ProvideX or PxPlus software is NEVER recommended.  Over the years we have made numerous changes to adapt to newer operating systems.  Running versions of ProvideX/PxPlus on operating systems that did not exist at the time of their release can result in unforeseen problems.

Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com