PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Identify Idle Processes on Linux system  (Read 1185 times)

jdegrendele

• View Profile
Identify Idle Processes on Linux system
« on: September 23, 2020, 02:35:42 PM »
I have a client who is experiencing several issues (error 0's, exceeding user license count, etc) due to server side sessions staying alive after the client connection gets abnormally terminated.  They are using Telnet to connect to a Linux server.  Is there a utility available that can identify orphaned Linux sessions and terminate them?   

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
Re: Identify Idle Processes on Linux system
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 03:37:52 PM »
Are they using WindX or simple text mode terminals/emulation?  If text mode terminals you may want to see if you can change the default keep-alive timeout for telnet which I believe is set to around 2 hours.

If WindX you should be able to simply set the '+A' system parameter which by default is set to ten minutes.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

jdegrendele

• View Profile
Re: Identify Idle Processes on Linux system
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 02:52:04 PM »
Mike, they are using Windx to connect to the server (via SSH).  They are using a Powershell script on the desktop to grab active directory credentials and launch Windx.  Lots (250+) of users coming in over wide area network.  Highly suspect network issues to be at the root of this.  When I spoke with them today they had already set the KeepAlive parameter to 12 minutes.  Do you have any paperwork that explains how KeepAlive works from the client perspective?  I'd like to be able to pass that along to them to help them understand why (or why not) the client re-connection process works after a network interruption occurs.