PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: ODBC Connection string  (Read 2950 times)

jasonc

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
ODBC Connection string
« on: March 01, 2019, 01:23:53 PM »
I'm trying to create an ODBC connection string that can be used by a third party product to access a couple PxPlus data files.
I have the ODBC server and client setup.

I have been able to successfully extract data from the PXPlus files using Excel with this connection string:
DRIVER={PxPlus® ODBC Driver (32-bit)};Directory=/my_dir/sub_dir/;RemotePVKIOHost=192.168.xxx.xxx
      *Note - when using Excel, credentials are tendered in a separate screen, but in the other software, I'm adding ";uid=user" to the connection string (no password).

I also successfully got data using Excel by simply specifying a DSN in the connection string:
DSN=Shipping

However, when using either of the connection strings above in the third party software, it failed.

I have tried variations of the above connection strings with additional keywords, but got similar results...  They succeed in Excel, but fail in the other software.  They assure me they are simply taking the connection string I provide without any manipulation.

Any ideas why it works with Excel, but not the other software?  Is Excel manipulating the connection string I provide?

Server:
RedHat 7.5
PxPlus 11.65
ODBC 5.20

Client
ODBC 5.20

Devon Austen

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Don’t Panic
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
Re: ODBC Connection string
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »
What is the error reported by the third party software when it doesn't work?

I would suspect it is not the connection string that is the issue. Is the third party software 64bit or 32-bit? If 64-bit you will need to install the 64-bit PxPlus ODBC Client.
Principal Software Engineer for PVX Plus Technologies LTD.

jasonc

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 03:16:29 PM »
I have confirmed that their software is 32-bit.  He was relieved when I told him the driver we already have installed is 32-bit.

The other software is passing the connection string off to the OS and because it "fails", Windows pops up a dialogue box prompting the user to select an existing DSN.  If I select an existing DSN (or file DSN), the query proceeds successfully.  However, this is connecting using the DSN selected, not by the initial connection string.

They tell me that they are not popping up the dialogue box...  Windows does because my connection string fails.  I have no way to confirm that.

Devon Austen

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Don’t Panic
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:45:56 AM »
If the connection string works in Excel there is no reason for it to not work in another ODBC client. My guess is it has something to do with not including the UID= when using Excel. I would either not include UID= when using the other application or include both UID= and PWD=.

Other thoughts are try to include SERVER=NotTheServer in the connection string.
Principal Software Engineer for PVX Plus Technologies LTD.

jasonc

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 12:49:27 PM »
Devon,
As you suspected all along, my original connection string was fine.  The problem was in the other third party software.  I worked with them today and it is resolved.  Thanks!