PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Security property on folder tabs  (Read 1041 times)

PMM_CAI

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
Security property on folder tabs
« on: August 03, 2022, 12:14:47 PM »
(using PxPlus 2020, Windows server)
Greetings. This concerns the Security property on panels. There are some particular circumstances, as follows:

* Panel X with multi-line Y and dropbox Z, initially disabled
* Panel X has several tabs; let's call them X.1 and X.2
* Panel (tab) X.1 Security has, let's say...
   * Full access for Classification MGR
   * View-only access for Classification USER (we need that view access so that the tab always draws for everyone; everyone has at minimum the USER classification assigned to them)
* The situation in which we encountered this was a file maintenance type panel, but I confirmed this happens with a panel with tabs that was not generated as FM

So if a MGR launches the panel, the two objects are initially disabled as expected. If they then navigate to the first record in the file, that executes a process that enables the objects, because for a MGR, they should be enabled.

But for a USER, we expect the objects to remain disabled, and in fact for multi-line Y, the panel Security keeps it disabled. But dropbox Z enables, and that is not the behavior we expected. (This also happens when we try assigning the security to dropbox Z itself)

I look forward to your feedback.

Paula McKeever
CAI Software LLC

Jane Raymond

• Staff
  • Diamond Member
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
Re: Security property on folder tabs
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 10:51:58 AM »
When a folder panel is drawn, the controls are disabled for view-only access. What happens after that would be dependent on your code enabling them programmatically, or the effect of a dependency.
(Note: This response is incorrect. It has been corrected in the Aug. 10 response.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 11:41:16 AM by Jane Raymond »
Jane Raymond
Software Developer
PVX Plus Technologies Ltd.

PMM_CAI

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 01:54:09 PM »
Thanks Jane! So in my example... should I be thinking that it is the Y multi-line that is not behaving as it should? I.e. yes it's disabled when first drawn, but then I have code to enable all members of a particular group, of which Y and Z are part of said group. For USER (as well as MGR), Z enables, but Y stays disabled.

This was the behavior in my uber simplified test panel, as well as the existing FM panel. My test is a panel with two tabs, the first tab had multi-line Y and dropbox Z. I hit a button that does a call "*wingrp;Enable" for the only group that these two objects belong to. There are no other things, like dependencies, that might explain why Y stays disabled.   - Paula.

Jane Raymond

• Staff
  • Diamond Member
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 02:37:10 PM »

Previously, Y and Z are on panel X (the main panel), but the security is on X.1, so I don't follow  why security is affecting controls on the main panel. But now Y and Z are on the first tab, so I'm a bit confused.

If you have some simplified panels that illustrate what you are attempting, it would be great if you set up a support ticket on our Helpdesk and upload the sample panels there and explain what is happening vs what you are expecting to happen.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 02:51:25 PM by Jane Raymond »
Jane Raymond
Software Developer

PMM_CAI

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 01:30:08 PM »
My apologies. You're right; I should have said panel X has two tabs and it's X.1 that has the two controls plus the security. I will do a ticket.

Jane Raymond

• Staff
  • Diamond Member
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 11:25:02 AM »
My response Aug. 4 was incorrect and should have read:
When a folder with view-only access is drawn, the controls are disabled permanently (or locked in the case of multilines). Program logic to enable/disable controls will have no effect on the disabled/locked controls.

There is currently an issue when creating the controls in this scenario that will be addressed in the next release.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 11:42:21 AM by Jane Raymond »
Jane Raymond
Software Developer