PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: NOMADS in Linux  (Read 1128 times)

Skip.Dahl

• View Profile
NOMADS in Linux
« on: July 28, 2022, 10:44:32 PM »
PxPlus in Linux, running WindX on Windows workstations.
I want to start using Nomads to create panels, how does one
do that with PxPlus running in Linux?

Stéphane Devouard

• Diamond Member
  • PxPlus guru with skills in PHP, JS, C#, Java
    • View Profile
    • Stéphane's Web Resume
Re: NOMADS in Linux
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 02:44:13 AM »
Skip

Run a PxPlus prompt from WindX
Make sure your START_UP and any other initialization routine requred ti setup your runtime environment has executed, as it will make your life easier
Type ide at the console
Here you go, you have now access to all the tools of the PxPlus Development -- graphical editors (*IT and ED+), Nomads Designer, Data Dictionary Maintenance, etc

Regards,

Stéphane Devouard
Portfolio | Work

Skip.Dahl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 05:56:40 PM »
Thanks Stéphane,

I maybe asking wrong....

Our PVXPlus environment is running within Ubuntu Linux. We do not have any graphical desktop installed within Linux (It's all terminal driven). I'm wanting to work with nomads from my Windows Workstation but how can I access the nomads development suite if it's running on Linux (Is there a nomads client that will connect to the server in Linux?)

If I attempt to run "*nomads" within Pxplus I get "Not a graphical device -- cannot use Nomads"

James Zukowski

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 06:29:42 PM »
If you start from the WindX terminals, it will work fine. The Linux console is not a WindX terminal, nor are any non-WindX telnet sessions, and will not run NOMADS.
James Zukowski
Sr. Developer - J&E

BRAND>SAFWAY
Brand Industrial Services

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 06:32:37 PM »
A lot depends on the type of PxPlus license you have on the Linux server.

If it is a Professional (or Web) license then it includes the ability to connect to it via WindX.  Simply download and install the WindX plugin onto you workstation and you should be able to connect via SSH to the server -- just set your terminal type using the TERM environment variable to "ansi" or "winterm" before starting PxPlus. 

For a faster connection you could run the Simple CS host process and connect directly via TCP avoiding the logon and SSH protocol, either method will work.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 06:49:59 PM »
One other thing --

You weren't specific, did you want to use Nomads to design screens or just to manage things like the data dictionary, report writer, create file maintenance screens, use the query and charting subsystem? 

If you don't want to directly design screens most of the Nomads utilities can be run inside a browser using iNomads which is available on a Web license as of PxPlus 2020 (v19).
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

Skip.Dahl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 07:09:11 PM »
One other thing --

You weren't specific, did you want to use Nomads to design screens or just to manage things like the data dictionary, report writer, create file maintenance screens, use the query and charting subsystem? 

If you don't want to directly design screens most of the Nomads utilities can be run inside a browser using iNomads which is available on a Web license as of PxPlus 2020 (v19).

The version we're running in Linux is PRO v18, which doesn't include the inomads licensing. The plan is to convert a terminal driven application into GUI. I figured out how to access the IDE and NOMAD utilities in WindX on my workstation but the question now is.. When I begin creating the application, is there a way to centralize the files on the server so that the client workstations opening the nomads application can load those files directly?

Similar to how WindX functions - All files and data is stored/accessed from a centralized location..

Stéphane Devouard

• Diamond Member
  • PxPlus guru with skills in PHP, JS, C#, Java
    • View Profile
    • Stéphane's Web Resume
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 01:58:24 PM »
Skip

If you are using WindX from your Windows workstation to connect to your Linux server, then everything you do, create, edit is on the Linux server. Run the IT editor, do a File > Open, and you will see the directory tree of your Linux server, not your workstation. WindX is just a smart terminal here, which happens to run on a local version of PxPlus for Windows. More precisely, a thin client for your PxPlus host.

At my new job, everyone is using Chromebooks or Chromeboxes and run the internal applications via the Chrome browser using a ssh client extension, since the internal apps are all CHUI-based and running on Linux. However since I have been using a PC for the last 30 years or so, I have setup a simple cs host and I am using WindX to do my development work. I also intend to setup the WebIDE for my boss to be able to have some code colorization after decades using *e :)
Stéphane Devouard
Portfolio | Work