Stéphane Devouard

• Diamond Member
  • PxPlus guru with skills in PHP, JS, C#, Java
    • View Profile
    • Stéphane's Web Resume
MySQL
« on: June 22, 2019, 05:37:20 AM »
Hello

It looks like the libmysql.dll that comes with the latest MySQL 8.0.xx version is 64-bits only and does not work with PxPlus 2019.

I kept on getting an "Unable to load libmySQL.dll" message when trying to open a [mysql] channel
It finally worked when I grabbed a 5.7.25-win32.zip from mysql website, extracted the .dll from and overwrote the 64-bits one I had put in the pxplus folder.

Is it the way this is supposed to work ?
Any plan to update PxPlus to be compatible with the latest MySQL version ?

Thanks
Stéphane Devouard
Portfolio | Work

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
Re: MySQL
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 05:58:51 PM »
Applications for Windows can come in 32 bit or 64 bit varieties.  Some come in 32 bit only, some in 64 bit only and some both.  While most Windows systems now run the 64 BIT OS, a large number of Windows programs are 32 bit.  Generally if there is no need for more than 2GB of memory in an application 32 bit is all that is needed and will generally take up less memory to run.

PxPlus currently only ships a 32 but version for Windows but 32 and 64 bit versions for most Linux systems.

As for installing the MySql library, how you obtain the 32 Bit DLL is really up to MySql as I do not think we can legally ship it with PxPlus as its owned by ORACLE.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

Devon Austen

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Don’t Panic
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
Re: MySQL
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 02:54:20 PM »
While they only have a 64-bit version of the MySQL server for most recent versions you don't need to install the MySQL server to use the [mysql] interface in PxPlus. You only need to install the MySQL connector/C which can be installed via the MySQL installer as x86 (32-bit). This will install the 32-bit libmysql.dll needed for PxPlus.
Principal Software Engineer for PVX Plus Technologies LTD.