PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Dropping an Excel object  (Read 1798 times)

Hans Plass

• View Profile
Dropping an Excel object
« on: November 05, 2023, 07:09:57 PM »
I have suddenly encountered a problem when trying to drop or delete an Excel object (after checking that REF(object)=1), even though there have been no program code changes. Indeed, the process becomes interminable, so that it is only possible to conclude it by killing it via the Task Manager of Windows. The only environmental change that has occurred recently has been the disconnection of the stand-alone computer from OneDrive, if that has any bearing on the anomaly. I would be grateful for any hints or suggestions that might help to resolve this problem. Thanks in advance
Hans Plass
Sistemas 4u2 - Chile

Arno de Greef

• View Profile
Re: Dropping an Excel object
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 09:48:29 AM »
Hi Hans,

This sound like what happens when a file has not been synchronised from Onedrive to your machine. The system finds the file exists but when you try and open it from within PxPlus there's no content in the file, so Onedrive needs to download it. If there's no Onedrive connection processes may hang-up.

Cheers,
Arno de Greef

PxPlus

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 09:51:48 AM »
This sounds like Excel itself is hung up trying to update oneDrive.  Its possible it is trying to upload any changes you have made (or maybe something as trivial as the last accessed date) on oneDrive.

Also make sure you has closed all the excel workbooks before you drop the Excel object. 

Hans Plass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 09:09:15 PM »
Thanks for your help, Arno and PxPlus. I have tried the method CloseWorkbooxs() but it hangs the same way as the dropping. How could I go on using my program as before I disconnected OneDrive without having to reactivate it. Or is that not possible? Thanks again, in advance.

Hans Plass
Sistemas 4u2 - Chile

Arno de Greef

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 02:49:13 PM »
It's hard to give advise without a more details about your program.

In general, I think this will take a bit more debugging. Assuming Excel is working normally outside PxPlus and this issue is Onedrive related, I would probably start by (temporary) placing the Excel file on another disc (surely outside Onedrive). Just to see what happens.

Cheers,

Arno de Greef

Hans Plass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 06:51:49 PM »
Thanks for your help, Arno. I’ll give it a try.

Cheers
Hans