PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: NTHOST Service on a Windows 10 PC  (Read 1545 times)

Mike Hatfield

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
NTHOST Service on a Windows 10 PC
« on: May 12, 2019, 11:54:35 PM »
Hi All,
We have a reseller that has a number of end users that use a Windows 10 PC as the 'server' with NTHOST running as a service.
They report that when Windows does an automatic update they have to delete the service and re-install it.
I've not had heard of this.
Is there any feedback on this issue?
Thanks
Mike H

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
Re: NTHOST Service on a Windows 10 PC
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »
I have Simple CS installed as a service using the standard install routines that came with PxPlus and have never had to re-install the service.

How did the client install the service?  If he is using SRVANY (which is a Microsoft utility) perhaps it has the problem with the updates.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

Mike Hatfield

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »
Hi Mike K,

I'm not sure how they set up the service.
Their network support did it.
The support are also a dotnet shop so I suspect they have written a small utility to install/uninstall services.
Mike H

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 11:41:38 AM »
You will then likely need to take the issue up with them since they should know how they setup the service.

There is however one possibility which I have seen (even with our service setup) and that is the person setting up the service forgets to set the service to "Automatic Start". 

If you don't so this the next reboot (which is common during Windows updates) will leave the service installed but not running.  To the end-user this may look like the service needs to be re-installed but in reality all they need to do is restart the service.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com