PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Version Discrepancy  (Read 2948 times)

Sam Nehama

• View Profile
Version Discrepancy
« on: July 18, 2018, 08:01:36 PM »
Hello,

I am downloading and installing version 10.20 of Pxplus on Red Hat 7.5 (using the 64 bit link).  Every time I attempt to install the activation keys it is installing as version 11.  My preference is to make this version 10.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sam

Devon Austen

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Don’t Panic
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
Re: Version Discrepancy
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 09:37:12 AM »
Hi Sam,

If the version you installed of PxPlus is 10.20 then activating it with a version 11 license is the same as if you activated it with a version 10 license. The software is designed so that you can use higher version licenses on older software and that will work the same as using the exact version of the license. If you were to use a version 9 license on version 10.20 of PxPlus it would activate but warn you that version 10 features will be disabled.
Principal Software Engineer for PVX Plus Technologies LTD.

Sam Nehama

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:22:12 AM »
Hi Devon,

The activation keys (AFAIK) are version 10, not version 11.  The customer is upgrading servers (from 32 to 64 bit) and we are using the same activation key.  On the old server ./pxpreg -v shows version 10, but the new server it shows version 11.  Why? I'm stumped.

Thanks,
Sam

Devon Austen

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Don’t Panic
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »
I suggest creating a HelpDesk ticket (https://helpdesk.pvxplus.com) where you can safely share your serial number with us and we can look into the serial for you.

My guess is it was a version 10 but got upgraded at some point after it was installed and registered on the old server. That being said this is not a problem as I mentioned the version 11 activation will work just the same as the version 10 activation on a version 10.20 of PxPlus.

Sam Nehama

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »
That is what my understanding of the activation keys should be, but it is not so.  We are running in a *plus\cs\client environment (old nthost/ntslave) and one would think that running the same version of Windx (which is 10.20) that it would run just fine.  This is not the case.  We can reach the opening menu of the software but when you try to run any program the menu disappears and does not return.  On occasion we will get a windows error indicated that pxplus is not running on the client.  Thoughts?

Sam Nehama

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »
further info:

Devon Austen

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Don’t Panic
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 02:05:27 PM »
It is unlikely that the activation being for version 11 has anything to do with the PxPlus crash you are seeing. I would look at other differences between the working old server and the problem new server. It is possible that other differences between the two systems is at fault here. For example, firewall, permissions, or OS libraries.

Sam Nehama

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 05:35:01 PM »
what makes this even stranger is that installing with Windx 11 the software appears to operate properly with one exception.  There are certain tabs that are displaying with blank labels; if you click on the blank labels, the proper tab is displayed.  The customer is concerned that there may be more of this in the software.

That being said, it sure would appear that the proper libraries are installed and there is not a firewall issue.  I would think that would eliminate permission issues as well.   Which brings me full circle in wondering why it installs on the server as version 11 instead of 10...

Thanks,
Sam

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 06:05:40 PM »
First off this, based on what you sent to our support department, this appears to be an INFOR serial number thus you need to contact INFOR about what to install to run their application.

While they generally use standard PxPlus builds they have on occasion used custom builds to address certain issues they were having or to provide special functionality they may have required. INFOR can also advise and supply the WindX which works correctly with their application.

As for software activation, this too needs to be done through INFOR as they have unique activation software that not only activates PxPlus, but also their application which has its own security protection.

With regards to your activation levels, activation keys for newer versions of PxPlus will allow you run older versions of PxPlus.  The activation level on the key ONLY establishes the functionality you have been authorized to use.  Any PxPlus activation key will allow you to install and run versions of PxPlus up to the level specified in the key, and in addition you can use newer versions of the executable components (Not the library) in order to obtain fixes . 

For example a version 10 key will run any version of PxPlus up to and including version 10.  It will also allow you to run the version 11 thru 13 executables (EXE/DLL and equivalent on Linux) in order to get access to corrections. If a problem was found in the version 10 executable and was fixed in the version 11 executable, you could install/run the newer executable in order to obtain that fix.  This is valid for 3 versions which covers the product support window.  Beyond three versions you need to purchase a version upgrade(s) or be on a maintenance program.

Finally, as the serial number you reported on our help desk is from INFOR and you are having trouble, we suggest you contact them for assistance as they can provide the proper versions to install and run along with the proper activation keys.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com