Main Board > Thin Client/WindX

Windx Memory access violation?

<< < (2/2)

Cedric:
Hey Mike,

thanks for the response.  I've had this issue with another customer that was on V16... I didn't notice at that time if the users were using MsTeams.  Not all of them had only 4Gb. Some were brand new computers... The only thing I remember is that I've noticed that the users had the tendancies to open up a lot of tabs (around 20 tabs ) in their Chrome browser and it was obviously using lots or ressources.  Support said something about memory management in Windows that could've changed, but had the issue with Win7 and Win10.   That being said, it ain't normal and wish to find a fix!  If it was in my code, I could at least work on a workaround, but in this case, it's happening pretty much anywhere in the system and randomly.  There's no pattern so far which makes it really difficult to understand!

Anyway, will continue to post if I notice any relevant information that could help narrowing the cause and find a fix!

Mike King:
Cedric

Unfortunately with Windows its pretty hard to handle out of resource issues.  There is no easy way to get a message to the end user about what is happening since to send the user a message itself requires system resources -- kind of a catch 22.

Linux generally is better as there is generally a console which you can output simple text messages to.

For Windows what you might consider is creating log files that can be checked.  PxPlus will log what it can to a logfile if present.

What we have suggested to clients in the past is to set up a directory for log files.  In your system start up, define/create a unique log file per process using something like SETDEV (0) SET "LogFile" to "..directory../"+STR(TCB(89))+".log" and in your application when you go through 'NORMAL' termination remove the file.  At the end of the day any files left are from crashed applications and their contents may assist in determining if the system reported out of memory or other problems.

jh:
Cedric,
I'm not sure if this warrants a separate thread-our customers have also started randomly experiencing "memory access violation" since upgrading from v15 but we are not running WindX and we don't use ESC as a separator.
We've implemented the logfile to collect more data and would be interested to learn more about your progress on resolving the issue.

Best regards!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version