Main Board > Registration and Setup

SSL libraries on Ubuntu64 bit with PxPlus V10 64 bit

<< < (3/3)

Devon Austen:
Unfortunately OpenSSL 1.1.1 is very new, newer then PxPlus V15.

Only PxPlus 2020 (V17) can handle it.

As Mike mentioned earlier in this thread this is not due to us locking the feature but due to actual API changes in OpenSSL that are not compatible and required specific code to support.

bmohrhardt:
Okay, thanks for the information.
How then, can we "tell" Ubuntu 18.04 to use an older version of SSL?
Do we have to install a 32-bit SSL, then make a symlink to tell 18.04 to use that old one?
The behaviour that we are getting now, in attempting to make an Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit only) desktop communicate with our PxPlus V15.10 server, is that is does it, but it takes around 2 minutes to make the connection. Almost as if it is trying the SSL version that is too recent, then gives up, and eventually tries the older one? When we connect with Ubuntu 16.04 clients (those are 32-bit), they connect immediately.   Bill.

Mike King:
There is really no 'Easy' way to run older OpenSSL on newer Ubuntu OS's.  Ubuntu, like virtually all Linux system, are shipped with the OS relying on OpenSSL and so changing the Openssl library isn't really very feasible.

Now I'm not certain I understand what exactly you are trying to do. 
What are you running on the Ubuntu Desktop that you are trying to connect to your server and how are trying to connect? 

bmohrhardt:
Hello Mike :

We are trying to get PxPlus V 15.10, with Windx 15.10 plugin, to connect to our PxPlus server. Like I said, it connects fine if the client is Ubuntu 16.04 (32-bit), no delay. We are currently creating Ubuntu 18.04 clients, and those are 64-bit only. The openssl version that comes with the Ubuntu 18.04 packages is 1.1.1. We followed a thread that we found online, and we now have an Ubuntu 18.04 client, that when we issue : openssl version, we get OpenSSL 1.0.2l  25 May 2017. So, in theory, we have an openssl version that is older than the "stock" version that comes with Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS.
When we attempt to connect to our PxPlus server (which is CentOS 5.10 64-bit), it WILL connect, but takes a full 2 minutes to do so. Any other commands, telnet, ftp, ssh connect right away. We are using WINE 5.0.2 on the Ubuntu 18.04 client. At first, we tried the 64-bit WINE, but that would not connect at all, but the 32-bit WINE connects, but with the funky delay.   Thanks,  Bill.

Mike King:
Bill,

The issue is how does Wine locate its SSL library?  When you run WindX under Wine we thin we are running in Windows thus we use the Windows Openssl libraries we ship with WindX and the Windows 'winsock' library replacement that comes with Wine.

I don't think the system uses the Ubuntu Openssl libraries at all when running WindX under Wine on Ubuntu.  WindX thinks it is on a Windows system and as such loads its own SSL libraries directly from the install -- and those simply require Windows Winsock.

Given that the issue you are likely having has to do with the 32 Bit Wine and whatever it is using.

I believe there is a 64 Bit Wine and that may be compatible with our 64 Bit WindX plugin.  A PxPlus 2020 WindX is designed to connect to older servers in order to allow clients to migrate their workstations before the host so that may be an option for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version