PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: rpc dropping connection after dedicated point-to-point replaced.  (Read 1233 times)

bmohrhardt

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
rpc dropping connection after dedicated point-to-point replaced.
« on: September 14, 2018, 11:43:23 AM »
Hello Forum :

After replacing a dedicated Point-to-Point circuit with an ipsec site-to-site route, our RPC files spontaneously close if the user does not touch their Providex session for an hour.
The new connection is using Cisco ASA firewalls, and raw ftp or rsync commands work much faster, as the new connection uses whatever bandwidth is available. However, any files OPENed via the PROCESS SERVER directive still read and write fairly slowly. This likely has to do with the fact that we are still on Providex 9.10. I will execute the same routines on a backup server, where I am testing our code on Providex Plus 14.10. I am certain that improvements were made to Remote Process Control between the 2 versions.

My question is this : Can Providex (or Providex Plus) be configured to allow the RPC OPENed files to remain open? If a user leaves his or her session untouched for a period of time? It almost seems as if the PROCESS SERVER command is getting severed, as any RPC OPENed files will no longer be open, but any local files remain open indefinitely.

Thanks,
Bill.

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
Re: rpc dropping connection after dedicated point-to-point replaced.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »
The issue is likely your network is configured to drop connections after a period of no activity. 

You may be able to resolve this by adding the option "KEEPALIVE" to the TCP definition on the PROCESS SERVER command used to connect.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com