PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Linked Server ODBC SQL17  (Read 2027 times)

andrews

• View Profile
Linked Server ODBC SQL17
« on: November 20, 2020, 05:18:01 PM »
Hi, I have previously had version 5.20 of the ODBC SQL driver installed and just upgraded to version 7.  I have no issues with the ODBC connection, however, when I am trying to add the linked server in SQL it is just hanging on executing. 

I am wondering if there are any settings that may have changed with version 7? 
I have been using the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Driver with version 5.20 in the past with the linked server. 

I am using SQL odbc driver 7.00.0002_w64

Devon Austen

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Don’t Panic
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
Re: Linked Server ODBC SQL17
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »
There was a big change to configuration if you are using the ODBC driver in client/server mode. You now define a catalog on the PxPlus SQL Server, this is where you point the software at the data. Then the ODBC client just need to be configured to name the catalog to use.
Principal Software Engineer for PVX Plus Technologies LTD.

andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 04:09:47 PM »
So I did add the catalog, in both the ODBC and when trying to add the server in SQL via a linked server.  My issue is when I hit okay to add the linked server it just hangs all day on executing.  I never get a time out or error it just hangs there. 

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:29:14 PM by andrews »

andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 08:17:57 PM »
There was a big change to configuration if you are using the ODBC driver in client/server mode. You now define a catalog on the PxPlus SQL Server, this is where you point the software at the data. Then the ODBC client just need to be configured to name the catalog to use.

Another thing to note is the ODBC connect fails the schema test, so something else must be different between this version and version 5.20.  I am at a loss here on how to set it up properly. 

Devon Austen

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Don’t Panic
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 08:20:58 AM »
If you use any prefixes they are now defined on the server and not in the client.

Have you tried testing the odbc client via the pxpsql command line client or from other software like Excel? If it works there then you know the odbc driver is setup correctly and the issue is the linked server config.

Check out the documentation for our ODBC here: https://manual.pvxplus.com/?odbc/pxplus_odbc.htm

In the tree view you can find configuration instructions, an FAQ, and details on the command line client and how to use it.

If you still have issues I suggest you ask for help through support. Make sure you include as much detail as possible including the serial number, ODBC DSN connection string, the PxPLus SQL Server conf file or screen shots from the PxPlus SQL Server Configuration app, and MS SQL Server linked table config screenshots.

Support is through the PxPlus reseller, unless you buy directly from PVX Plus Technologies in which case you can create a support ticket from the PVX Plus Technologies website.

andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 09:34:43 AM »
If you use any prefixes they are now defined on the server and not in the client.

Have you tried testing the odbc client via the pxpsql command line client or from other software like Excel? If it works there then you know the odbc driver is setup correctly and the issue is the linked server config.

Check out the documentation for our ODBC here: https://manual.pvxplus.com/?odbc/pxplus_odbc.htm

In the tree view you can find configuration instructions, an FAQ, and details on the command line client and how to use it.

If you still have issues I suggest you ask for help through support. Make sure you include as much detail as possible including the serial number, ODBC DSN connection string, the PxPLus SQL Server conf file or screen shots from the PxPlus SQL Server Configuration app, and MS SQL Server linked table config screenshots.

Support is through the PxPlus reseller, unless you buy directly from PVX Plus Technologies in which case you can create a support ticket from the PVX Plus Technologies website.

Thanks my reseller is my ERP provider and they are pretty much at a loss here.  I did stumble across a Microsoft article on the incompatibility of server 2016 and PvxPlus version 5.20 but I would hope that this doesn't hold for version 7.  https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/18895618-6b2e-4c27-afb6-271f59d97f34/accessing-pvxplus-data-through-sql-server-2016-linked-server?forum=sqldataaccess

Devon Austen

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Don’t Panic
    • View Profile
    • PVX Plus Technologies
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 10:00:55 AM »
No that issue was resolved and the version you are using works with SQL Server 2016.