PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Use Client *IT in WindX plugin  (Read 822 times)

Peter.Higgins

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
Use Client *IT in WindX plugin
« on: May 11, 2023, 06:49:26 PM »
Is it possible to use the Client *IT with the WindX plugin.  I have substantial mods to my version that save much time on certain conversion tasks and do not want to install my IT version on client servers. 

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
Re: Use Client *IT in WindX plugin
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 11:54:32 AM »
Not certain what you are asking.  Are you looking to run *IT locally on the users workstation to edit program on the server?

Technically you could run *IT on the WindX workstation but there is no mechanism to download/upload program files from the server.  Unfortunately, while running *IT locally the host would probably think the workstation has disconnected as it would not be receiving any WindX exchanges so the host connection would likely fail.

What you might be able to do is use WindX to download programs to a workstation, then use a standard (or Demo) license on the workstation to run *IT and edit the program, and finally update the program back on the server again using WindX.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

Peter.Higgins

• Diamond Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 01:12:08 PM »
Mike,
This answers my question.  Having only a Linux license, with no Linux server at the moment, I was hoping to get some of what I wanted to do for the next project done before the weekend.  Miss the developer license for sure. 
I was hoping to run the Windx IT locally to edit in memory without connecting to the server or local file. 
Attempts so far have at best popped a connection launch panel so I moved on.

I copy and paste back and forth bits and whole programs between UltraEdit, client IT when available, and Server IT numerous times a day depending on what needs doing.  Substring replacement with composite record variables is what I need the most because it saves hours of large file memorizing and reference and highlights or fixes scope issues.

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 02:44:00 PM »
Why not just use a demo license on your laptop?

Use WindX to copy the files over to the PC or remote mount the Linux host to get access to the programs.

The only issue is that the Demo license will remind you periodically that you are running a demo, but if all you are doing is editing programs this should not be an issue.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 02:48:41 PM by Mike King »
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com