PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Moving PxPlus License key  (Read 2248 times)

Bruno Biancucci

• View Profile
    • BrunoBiancucci.com
Moving PxPlus License key
« on: November 30, 2021, 10:05:42 AM »
Well, last week I received a call from a client who's old server (Windows 7pro actually) finally gave up the ghost and my application was off line.  We quickly moved them over to the onsite backup dev. box and we were back in business that same morning.  A new Dell Server (1u, Windows server 2019) is on order and with any luck Santa's elves will have it done by Christmas.

Is there an automated process, much like the license registration process, where someone can simply de-register a license key from one (decommissioned) system and apply it to a new computer.   In the past we've had to call this into support @ Pvx Plus.  Some one would delete the registration at their end and we could then register the existing license key on a new box.

License is for: PxPlus 2017 - e-Comm (Windows).

TIA.
"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
Re: Moving PxPlus License key
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 10:24:04 AM »
In situations where the current system has failed, you can use the installation key provided with your original purchase to temporarily get your system up and running for 30 days.

Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

MikeinFL

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 09:17:32 AM »
In situations where the current system has failed, you can use the installation key provided with your original purchase to temporarily get your system up and running for 30 days.

Will activation transfer to a system that replaces a failed system?   Or is another purchase of a new activation key required?  If so, is it full price? 

Thanks,
Mike

Bruno Biancucci

• View Profile
    • BrunoBiancucci.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 10:32:16 AM »
I did what Mike (in Markham) mentioned and everything worked better than expected (koodo's on that upgrade).
Our old system died and we had to move the app to our backup box (yes, we purchased a spare key).  Once our new server was delivered, we installed/setup the new server and applied the same license key used by the defunct  server.  We assumed the license key was automatically picked up by the PxPlus license server and all was good.  It's been running for a couple months now and no issues.  The reason for my initial post, was back in the day, we'd have to call in the license move to PxPlus support and they would have to manually delete the (same) license key on their end.

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

edjack

• Silver Member
  • Computerease
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 11:13:06 AM »
The move process could be improved if our client could DE-ACTIVATE on the old computer without needing to get PVXPlus involved.
Currently the PVXPlus activation server must be changed to a MOVE mode for the client to DE-ACTIVATE.
Ed Jack
Computerease

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 12:00:07 PM »
Because we allow clients a time-period where they may have both the old system and new system active, we have to monitor and control the moves to avoid clients from moving their licenses multiple times in order to have multiple machines active on the same license.

Also, it should be noted that the Move process is provided as a courtesy to "current" clients as the license agreement is for specific machine and does not provide for the movement of software between systems.
Mike King

bjshallenberger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 10:51:42 AM »
Given the recent reply I would like confirmation to be sure….We are currently running pxplus 15 and are upgrading to new hardware of which has same OS. From reading the posts in this thread, it appears I can use current registered keys on the new hardware for 30 days before there is a conflict with our production platform.  This would be perfect to allow us to test the new hardware, complete user migration, and then retire the original (currently live) server.  Once we go live on the new server, we would decommission the old server.

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 11:36:07 AM »
To accomplish the move you need to contact our support department first and they will enable the move at our end so the multiple installs will not be flagged.

The actual time frame which you can have both systems active will vary based on when you start.  Our support department can provide details on the process.
Mike King

bjshallenberger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 12:06:06 PM »
I’ll reach out to them today.  Thanks for the quick reply.