PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Shared user slots  (Read 1697 times)

jasonc

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
Shared user slots
« on: July 18, 2019, 04:45:34 PM »
From the reference manual, the '1U' parameter says that if the parameter is off, "PxPlus attempts to use shared user slots for the session".  Noting the word "attempts", what would prevent PxPlus from being able to share a user slot?

The reason I ask is that I can open 3 code screens and all will be sharing the same user slot.
However, if I try to resize the screens to allow a larger viewable area, they are sometimes assigned a dedicated user slot.  It is inconsistent, but happens often enough to cause "User limit exceeded" problems.

Example:
-}?prm('1U')
-}?tcb(27)
-}deftty (0)40,15
-}?prm('1U')
-}?tcb(27)

For some reason, when issuing the deftty directive above, the '1U' parameter gets set and the session is now using a dedicated user slot.  Any suggestions on how to prevent this from using a dedicated user slot?

jasonc

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shared user slots
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 05:43:29 PM »
I got some help from someone offline and got this resolved.  No further response needed.
In case anyone is wondering, changing "deftty" to "deftty window" fixed it.
My description of the problem was slightly off also.  Only the first session I opened behaved as I described.

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 06:01:06 PM »
You should not be using DEFTTY to resize the screen size.  While it does define a new screen size it also indicates the device as a New terminal which will cause the system to stop sharing the user slot.

If all you want to do is change the size of the screen and using WindX, try the command

wdw 40x15

This will reset your main screen to 40 columns by 15 lines.

It does this by cloning your primary window in order to preserve its contents, then drops the primary window, recreates it the desired size then drops the clone.
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com

Gilles

• Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 03:21:04 AM »
wdw crash with error 13 on line 30 if PRM('BX')=1

Mike King

• Diamond Member
  • Mike King
    • View Profile
    • BBSysco Consulting
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 12:01:55 PM »
You are getting an error 13 because in order to change the size of the primary window it has to be dropped then recreated.

Emulation mode doesn't allow you to drop the primary window (0) since the environment you are emulating will not allow it.  If we did allow it, PxPlus would not be providing a proper emulation.

If you want to change the primary window you will need to not run in emulation mode. 

PxPlus native functionality allows you to drop any window as long as you leave a window, any window,  present in your session.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:09:14 PM by Mike King »
Mike King
President - BBSysco Consulting
eMail: mike.king@bbsysco.com