PxPlus User Forum

Twitter Twitter Twitter

Author Topic: Thoroughbred Migration  (Read 1160 times)

cbudney

• View Profile
    • Corporate Solutions & Services
Thoroughbred Migration
« on: August 31, 2021, 05:03:43 PM »
Hello everyone!

I hope you are all doing well and staying healthy and safe!

I am reviewing a prospect for a migration from tbred 8.4.1.  Has anyone done one of these and have any words of wisdom?  :)

Thanks in advance!

Chris Budney
Chris Budney
President
Corporate Solutions & Services, Inc.

Neal McKinney

• View Profile
Re: Thoroughbred Migration
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 08:13:22 PM »
There is a tbred conversion folder at *conv.tbd.  It has been about 20 years since I did one of these, and I do not remember any of the steps.  I just quickly looked in the folder, but did not see a documentation file - but all the programs that you should need are there.  Maybe the documentation is somewhere else - I just don't remember.

Stéphane Devouard

• Diamond Member
  • PxPlus guru with skills in PHP, JS, C#, Java
    • View Profile
    • Stéphane's Web Resume
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 12:37:20 AM »
Hi

I migrated an hospitality software from Tbred 8.3 to ProvideX 4.01 in 1998.
At that time, the migration tool was creating a big bundle text file with all your programs and data files (depending on the directory devices you had selected for migration)
You then moved this big ass file to the target environment / system and used the unbundle tool to recreate programs and files in ProvideX format.
Almost all incompatibilities were addressed by the conversion tool, and fixing those that remained only took hours (do not have the details, as it has been 23 years). Even if you were using the Tbred « Windowing » system which we did not, and is quite different from ProvideX windows and dialogue controls, the conversion tool was modifying your code to call emulation routines provided by ProvideX.
During the transition period, you can use the various emulation modes provided by ProvideX (such as the Tbred FID() format, the windowing emulation, etc…) but it is then recommended to change your code to move and stick to the ProvideX standards and conventions. Who would want to migrate to another BB once under ProvideX anyway ? ;)

You can read more @ https://manual.pvxplus.com/PXPLUS/conv.tbd/overview.htm

Hope this helps
Stéphane Devouard
Portfolio | Work

cbudney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 11:08:33 AM »
There is a tbred conversion folder at *conv.tbd.  It has been about 20 years since I did one of these, and I do not remember any of the steps.  I just quickly looked in the folder, but did not see a documentation file - but all the programs that you should need are there.  Maybe the documentation is somewhere else - I just don't remember.

Thanks Neil!  I was looking over the documentation yesterday... there is a lot in the pxplus help under conversions as well.
Chris Budney
President

cbudney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 11:12:57 AM »
Hi

I migrated an hospitality software from Tbred 8.3 to ProvideX 4.01 in 1998.
At that time, the migration tool was creating a big bundle text file with all your programs and data files (depending on the directory devices you had selected for migration)
You then moved this big ass file to the target environment / system and used the unbundle tool to recreate programs and files in ProvideX format.
Almost all incompatibilities were addressed by the conversion tool, and fixing those that remained only took hours (do not have the details, as it has been 23 years). Even if you were using the Tbred « Windowing » system which we did not, and is quite different from ProvideX windows and dialogue controls, the conversion tool was modifying your code to call emulation routines provided by ProvideX.
During the transition period, you can use the various emulation modes provided by ProvideX (such as the Tbred FID() format, the windowing emulation, etc…) but it is then recommended to change your code to move and stick to the ProvideX standards and conventions. Who would want to migrate to another BB once under ProvideX anyway ? ;)

You can read more @ https://manual.pvxplus.com/PXPLUS/conv.tbd/overview.htm

Hope this helps

Hi Stephane,

thanks for the reply.  I had to do the some of the old hospitality conversion for MAI back in early 2000... I have one that was on T/OS and had to convert that bbx... one I had to take it from openbasic - thoroughbred - and then to bbx in one weekend... and clean up all the code... lol... it was a no sleep weekend!  I'm not sure yet if the prospect is using any of the idol features... I am doing a discovery session with them later this week.

Thanks for your help!

Chris
Chris Budney
President